Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 1 is Done: Media Celebs, Fashion, and Parties Oh My!


After getting through security and making my way to the Pepsi Center entrance, I was in total disbelief. I had an official credential and was about to be part of history. I proceed into the arena and there it happened – my most inspirational, memorable moment as a public relations professional. The kind of moment that gives you chills. I realized right then and there, this is what I have worked toward for so long.

CELEBRITY MEDIA UPDATE: I took the moment in but wasted no time capturing some fabulous, close-ups of Katie, Anne, and the like. I was so close that I heard Katie asking her people about NBC on multiple occasions.

“Where are they positioned? Oh, I see Andrea Mitchell. Can you go grab her?”

Is it just me, or does it sound like Katie is missing her family? I have always thought so and today just reaffirmed it. Anne is shorter than I expected. Both are beautiful and natural – wearing little to no makeup for the camera.

I am assigned to specific media pavilion on the grounds of the Pepsi Center. Reporters can choose to rent workspace in these pavilions. However, the DNCC have nothing to do with assigning these tenants their workspace for political reasons. It is my responsibility to provide my tent tenants with daily schedules, copies of speech transcripts, and resources to help them get their job done. I have some huge press I will be working with.

FASHION UPDATE: I ran into a beautiful woman on the street from Republic of The Gambia wearing a definite snatch-worthy ethnic dress. And, as chatted about in an earlier post, flip flops were in fact the shoe of choice. Anyone from an intern and producer, to a runner and Katie could be caught wearing flip flops. I even spotted Tevas. This latest fashion trend may not be the case tomorrow – the official first day of the DNC.
Apparently, dressing up in Halloween masks is also very much a fashion statement. From afar, I thought this tall man with very white hair was my first celebrity sighting. He had a huge entourage and looked the part. As he got closer, I realized he was sporting a freaky McCain mask on behalf of the campaign http://www.worsethanbush.org/.

I took the Light Rail into the city with the most hip grandmothers around. See above. Julie and Nel (r), with Code Pink, drove from Dallas to attend peaceful protests around the city. You immediately get a sense of their passion for PEACE in the way they speak and the funky clothes they wear. My new favorite ladies told me about the numerous times their children and grandchildren have witnessed them getting arrested. There was rumor on the Light Rail home, from 2 middle school boys and their friend moms, of teargas actually being sprayed outside the Colorado Convention Center. It would not surprise me if these courageous, experienced women, with so much chutzpah, were front and center. Keep fighting the good fight my sisters. And, I totally dig the hot pink. This color will always be in!

PARTY UPDATE: Tomorrow night I will be making an appearance at 2 fiestas. For part of the night you can find me at the College Democrats of America Alumni Association Launch Party at The Lure Lounge. There is chatter that Congressmen Tim Ryan and Gary Ackerman will be there as well as XM Radio’s LeftJab host Mark Walsh. I also was invited to the Exhibit Darfur Opening Reception at Ditto Art Gallery. I can bring a guest to this one so let me know if you care to join me! Maybe this will entice you...There is buzz that George Clooney might make an exclusive appearance. Let’s show up and find out.

Quote of the Day: A young media rep: “Forget the politics. I love looking at all of the outfits.”

Buzz of the Day: The new McCain ad featuring Hillary Clinton. How low is he going to go?

And, if you haven’t already found the answer to my previous post question, the woman with Joe was his wife Jill. She is simply stunning. Until we meet again tomorrow, Stephanie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE Julie and Nel! You should make that photo your profile pic on facebook!