Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Word on the Street...


Here are some snippets of conversation snatched from shuttle and train rides. And, I will be honest, some are my own opinions and event re-caps.

* Orange is Hillary's color! Why didn't she start wearing it earlier?

* Hill's speech was the best speech some of us will hear in a lifetime. There were tears and joy for hours following the speech -- on my shuttle, train, and walk. People couldn't get enough of Hill. Her Twin Cities joke won the crowd over: "With an agenda like that, it makes sense that George Bush and John McCain will be together next week in the Twin Cities. Because these days they're awfully hard to tell apart."

* Why did the fire marshals kick reporters out of the Pepsi Center?

* The E line Southbound on Light Rail was running late because there was white powder found on one train. And, there was a shooting at a stop in Aurora. More to come on this tomorrow.

* Denver is hosting everyone PERFECT! All of the convention goers I have talked to can't say enough great things about the Mile High City.

* Bill Clinton was mouthing, during Hill's speech, "I Love That Woman! I Love That Woman!"

* Mark Warner was wearing far too much make-up.

* I helped Newsweek's Jonathan Alter and his family get to the NBC tent.

* I ran into another gal, Jennifer, from my childhood. Apparently, Denver still is a small city.

* Caroline Kennedy's remarks seem to have wone over Hill supporters more than Hill's words. Caroline reminded democrats that we must vote for the party!

* From what I have been told, Republicans are now tracking my blog. The elephants just can't get enough of us now can they? Rudy this morning and Mitt, I just learned about. Who's next?

Quote of the Day: A woman at the Orchard Light Rail stop: "Michelle's dress from last night reminds me of curtain fabric. Oy, her designer!"

7 comments:

Trevor said...

Keep up the great reporting Steph!

Hillary Clinton's speech last night was excellent. She said all the things she needed to say. She acted very "Presidential." She showed the difference from someone who talks the talk to someone who walks the walk. Count me as one of the people who would vote for Clinton if she was running, but she is not, so I'm voting for McCain. Clinton did set herself up excellently to make another run in 4 years. Steph, would you volunteer for a Hillary 2012 campaign?

DSL said...

I've enjoyed all the speeches but they all make me feel as if I'm in temple. Is this to appeal to middle America?

Does Clinton = McCain as far as values go for some people? I'm sure she doesn't align herself with him. Is it latent racism? I'm just trying to understand what non-Republicans see in McCain. And that is a man who cannot, for his life, give a speech. I admire him for other reasons but not as a presidential candidate. Our country is more important than a petty popularity contest.

DSL said...

But I would vote for Colbert. ;-)

I'm not sure about orange being her best color, but she does look good in most of the bright colors that she wears.

Trevor said...

Many voters vote based on a party affiliation. Some voters have one single issue that decides how they vote. I have a couple issues I care passionatly about, and McCain and Clinton ally themselves greater with my line of thinking than Obama.

My main issue is with the security of Israel, and the ongoing threat of a nuclear Iran. I feel that McCain takes the threat of Iran far more seriously than does Obama. And, in the unfotunate event it became neccesary, McCain has vastly more military experience than Obama.

The other issue I care about greatly is health care. As a health care professional (a dentist), I see the health care situation from a different perspective than many people. I strongly believe Obama's health care plan would be a disaster for our nation's health care. McCain's plan, while not perfect, is far better. I could go into a huge amount of detail about this, but I'll spare boring everyone. Maybe I should start my own blog just on this issue.

DSL said...

Wow, thanks for your thoughts. I really do want to know what people are thinking. I don't think it would be disastrous if either side one. As they say, neither party is as different as they make themselves out to be while campaigning and things don't change as much as they stay the same. I, of course, have some main issues that I care passionately about that strongly influence my voting, as I'm sure most of us do. I just hate to think that some people vote out of bitterness or prejudice, although I know that some do. Voting and how one votes is a personal choice, but it's an interesting topic of conversation. All in all, I just wish more people voted. And it's not about not having time. There's always absentee ballots.

Trevor said...

dsl, I couldn't agree more that more people should vote. People love to complain about our government, but so few people take the time to really learn about our leaders and vote to influence them. We are so lucky to live in such an amazing time in a democratic nation. I fear too many people take that for granted.

Avram Polinsky said...

Since when has being a war hero mean that you will be a competent Commander in Chief during wartime?

I'd imagine that we can agree that Vietnam was the biggest blunder of the 20th century in terms of the political management of military affairs.

Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon and Ford (president during the fall of South Vietnam) all served with honor during WWII.

Neither Wilson nor FDR had any military experience, but lead the country through the world wars and played critical roles in shaping America's role on the world stage.

I can't imagine seem to fathom what being shot down in Vietnam has to do with being more prepared to face the threat of a nuclear Iran.

Which candidate co-sponsored a bipartisan non-proliferation legislation?

Which candidate has demonstrated that his "foreign policy experience" does not give him an understanding or judgment of the terrorist threat or Iraq policy by repeatedly stating that Al-Qaeda is receiving support from Iran?

I hope that no one actually needs the answers to these questions, and if so please turn Fox News off immediately.