Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 2 - A Caste System Forms in What Used to be a Small City


Yesterday was my first official day on the job. I was so tired and sore last night, I came home and went straight to bed. But, I did catch the Michelle speech on TV. Why did I not just watch Michelle LIVE? It all comes down to the credential, or so I learned very quickly.

I arrived at the Colorado Convention Center for check-in and credential pick-up at 8:30 am sharp. As they called my name, I said “here” and was handed a perimeter credential. This meant I could get into the grounds of Pepsi Center but could not enter the actual arena. I am stationed outside anyway so that would make sense. But, I was upgraded to an arena credential. I thought this meant I would get to see Michelle, Teddy and Hillary speak. So did the other volunteers.

After a long day of work and walking 20 blocks to the Darfur Exhibit with Ally Walter and then 20 blocks back to witness last night’s speeches, I learned the arena credential gets me inside Pepsi Center but not into the hall. The hall credential is purple and mine was orange. However, the arena pass does allow me to watch the speeches unedited and on a large, digital TV. I made a little spot for me on the marble floor, bought some popcorn and teared up when Teddy came on. A superstar usher also allowed me inside the hall briefly for some quick pics.

The credential is a real power symbol. I have noticed everyone looks down at each other’s credentials. It is quick way to make a judgment and gauge individual importance. Looks like I am right in the middle - the safest place to be.

I ran into an old co-worker Ben from PorterNovelli in the Grand Hyatt lobby. I also saw a star from my high school’s football team Matt. He works for the Obama campaign.

Celebrity Spotting: Yesterday was a big day. I asked for a photo with James Carville and got it. Also, check out my pictures of Ted Coppel and Terry McAuliffe outside the Colorado Convention Center. Governor Ritter made a quick stop at the Darfur Exhibit.

Fashion Update: It was refreshing to see so many ladies in Privos. That is my shoe of choice. And, I was concerned I would be in the minority but as it seems I am setting a fashion trend. They are so comfortable and now can be seen as “in.” I have seen lots of peace jewelry, awareness bracelets, and more flip flops. Casual does seem to be the way to be. I bailed from The Lure Lounge party. I was too tired and had too many blisters. But, I took more shoe pics last night. There were some crazy ones I saw at the Exhibit party. They looked like ankle braces. I have NO idea where you get these but I don't think I want to. YIKES.

Political Update: I made a huge mistake of leaving Pepsi Center compound, going to the exhibit and then trying to return. There was a mob of people and it took nearly an hour to get through security. I am in tonight and not leaving until I am on the floor to see Hillary. Today and tonight is a tribute to women and I have to be there. Wish me luck.

From what I have heard, the platform was set last night but is not available to the public quite yet. When I learn more, I pass along to you.

I have never been more proud to call Denver my home. I have always believed Denver will have a special place in my heart. Everyone has truly stepped up the plate to host thousands of people with nothing but smiles. I left Denver 4 years ago but Denver will NEVER leave me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you Steph! and jealous, from all the pepsi center pics inside and videos i've seen and your descriptions, it sounds like an extremely powerful and moving place to be!!! Can't wait to hear about it and see more pics!! yay! have fun, keep me updated! *hugs* :) :)

Avram Polinsky said...

Would you be able to color your pass purple with magic marker to get into the main arena?

What kind of food do they have in the Pepsi Center? Is there a Guitar Hero station?

Give us what we want to know!

The president should be decided based on Guitar Hero skills. That or a robot fight.