Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Power of a Moment: Hillary, Hillary and More Hillary


Hillary is still my hero. And, after last night, she is now more than ever before. Last night, she looked like a president; she spoke like a president; and she made an impact like a president. I had the privilege to be on the floor during her moment. I am young and Hillary got me excited about our political system.
As I stood in line for my morning chai at Perk's in the Grand Hyatt, I heard some weeping. The woman in front of me was crying. I tried cheering her up by pointing out some adorable $4 donkey cookies sitting in the pastry case. But, I quickly came to learn her tears were for Hillary. Then I started to cry.

Reporters are critiquing every line of her speech. Could she have been more blunt? Were her words sincere? Is Chelsey planning on getting into politics? Yes, she could have been more blunt but for the first time in a long time, she was 100% herself. No one can take that away from Hill. She has worked too long and hard for that moment. I think her words couldn't have been more than sincere. And, I do think Chelsey will jump into the political ring someday.

On my way to Harry's book party, I stumbled across a small group of women and men protesting for Hillary. This group is mad at the party because they took Hillary's votes away. I am supporting Obama because I support the party. But, it was a out-of-mind experience. I found myself on the grass with this group. I wasn't chanting with them. It was out of curiosity. I wanted to know why they couldn't move forward. I wondered if they thought their actions separate, and not bring together, the party. There was too much anger and disappointment on their end to even get a straight answer. This is when I was interviewed for a documentary. See below.

I think I could go either way on this issue, but at this point, I think what all Hillary supports must keep in mind is: IT IS WHAT IT IS, and anything is better than 4 more years of the 8 we have just had. If Obama is her candidate, then Obama is my candidate.

CELEBRITY TALK: I spotted Reverend Sharpton in the lobby of the Grand Hyatt during my daily coffee run. I also ran into Marc, my friend from Bradley University who invited mom and I to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's book signing party. I met Harry too! Mom and I sat with some great ladies - Lorette from Georgia and Karen from California. Some of my association colleagues were at the party too. But, I never did see any books.

If you think this is good, I found Charlize and her boyfriend downing beers at The Market at about 5ish. One woman went up and asked her if she was in fact Charlize. The movie star apparently answered, "No. I am 15 pounds heavier than her." OK, sorry but it was so her. The word is she hates reporters like myself and lies about being her all the time.

Oh, in case you didn't get the alert, I am a celebrity now. I was interviewed for a documentary. The California-based production company plans to inform me of when the movie will be out for release.

And, again, you heard it here first. Bon Jovi and Springsteen will be performing at tomorrow's Obama acceptance speech. I will be there so look for the girl with curly hair. It should not be that hard to spot me in the crown of 70,000. The logistics that go along with switching from one venue to another venue is historic. And, considering so much is still up in the air logistically, I think it is going to be stressful on all staff.

Blue is now the new color of the night. Jill, Joe's mom, and Michelle were all sporting it tonight and I have to say it looked phenomenal.

FOOD and ENTERTAINMENT: This goes out to a special person with a unique question. No, there is NO Guitar Hero on the Pepsi Center compound. But, what were they thinking? That would have been fabulous. Politicians in bow ties and suits jamming out to oldies but goodies.

The food at Pepsi Center is delicious and even better that it is free. FirstData is distributing $10 gift cards that can be used for food and merchandise in the Pepsi Center. What a great way to promote FirstData's new gift card. When I was an intern at Schenkein, I was on the FirstData account. It wouldn't surprise me if Schenkein had their hands in this amazing promotional campaign. The one item of food that you can't purchase with the gift card is Donkey Donuts. I plan to purchase tomorrow and report on ASAP. CNN Grill has been handing out free vanilla ice cream with red and blue sprinkles everyday from 4-5 pm. Tamayo, the location for Harry's fiesta, has some tasty modern Mexican and some strong margaritas. If you are ever in Denver, this is mandatory stop. Oh, the priorities.

COLORADANS CRAVING POWER: A lady eating linner on Larimer Square stopped me and asked, "How do I get myself one of those things? I want to be a delegate and vote. I give a lot of money to the Colorado Democratic Party." This goes along with my post from yesterday. These credentials are getting out of control. In fact, I was standing near the restroom with my binder in one hand and Blackberry in the other. Folks started flashing their credentials at me thinking I was security. I never thought flashing and power would go hand-in-hand. I guess anything is possible at the DNC.

Quote of the Day: A DNCC manager: "Hey, it's a convention. What more is there to do than party?"

It is true. People are here to party. I pick-up a copy of a special DNC edition of The Washington Post every morning. And, what are the only 2 sections included in this special section? News and Style. Does that tell you anything?

I am exhausted and came home early to soak my feet. Your DNC2008 gal, Stephanie

No comments: