Friday, August 29, 2008

That's a Wrap


Sorry for the late post. I have heard from followers that were concerned there was no post yesterday. That makes me so happy because my goal was to be your credible and fun connection to the DNC. Sadly, I am fighting a 101 degree fever. So, this is going to be short and sweet, unlike my day yesterday.

My body has never been this sore and I have never been this tired in my whole life. I headed to Invesco Field @ Mile High at about 11:00 am to get acclimated with the new venue and set-up. I found my way to PIC 4 located on the suite level. Radio and Periodical Row was located there.

I was the first one to the PIC, so I started to set-up the room. There were media coming in asking me what access their Pepsi Center credential got them at Invesco and others had assigned spots at Pepsi and thought that meant they had a spot at Invesco, which was certainly not the case. I really had to learn quickly what was going on and who was supposed to, and allowed to go, where. I called the media logistics line a few times to get all of my questions answered and then worked with another team member to type a FAQ document for the team. I saw it as an opportunity and by the end of the night managers were turning to me for answers. It was a very rewarding feeling.

I did anything from answer questions about how to obtain a floating credential and filing a story to getting the air turned down in CNN radio’s press box. I also helped Vanity Fair find their spot along with getting settled in. I made some connections with Reuters, PBS, and Hearst publications during the week in my tent. It was great to continue to work for them Thursday in a different setting. We chatted and exchanged cards.

When Obama spoke, the suite level was silent. His line about McCain not following Bin Laden into the caves was a hit. Jennifer Hudson was also the talk on level 4.

I think the 38 million eyes on Denver last night, and the millions over the whole week, feel Denver and the Democratic Party could not have ended such a historical and monumental week any stronger. The Green Team did a wonderful job of keeping Denver clean, residents were welcoming, and the weather was perfect. Obama’s speech drew more than 80,000 attendees. Unfortunately, Springsteen and Bon Jovi was a big rumor. There was also talk that Dave Matthew’s Band was going to make a surprise appearance.

The only negative about Invesco, from what I heard, was the transportation. But, we must remember everyone was just starting to get Pepsi down and then had to pick-up shop and settle in a new environment.

I will never forget last night and surly never forget the week. I am glad I documented each day for myself and for you! Who knows, maybe I will just have to continue blogging.

Have a fun and safe holiday. Your 2008 convention girl always, Stephanie

No comments: