Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Do You Have A Bucket List?

Thank you for coming to my blog. And, welcome to my first blog post! I encourage you to read the About Stephanie section (scroll down and look to your bottom right) in order to get a better idea for my background and my journey to the inside of the Beltway. But, in less than 2 weeks a new journey begins for me outside the Beltway back in my hometown - the Mile High City.

Ok, so the following post is a bit sappy and mushy. But, I think if I am going to be sappy and mushy, my first post is the place to do it. I did receive official word today I will be spending the week of August 25-28 in the Press Information Center (PIC) of the Democratic National Convention (DNC). I am not sure what my specific duties will entail. The only thing I am certain about, because I have NO idea what to expect with this being my first convention, is this is a dream come true! My grin, since last week when I learned I was accepted onto the team, has been one of those really silly, can’t get off my face, going to bed and waking up with it in the morning, type of grin. I guess it is a good problem to have.

Dreams. Do you have them? If you search for bucket list on Wikipedia, you will find a lovely synopsis of the movie “The Bucket List” with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. But, embedded within, under the Synposis section, I would like to bring to your attention the very powerful definition of bucket list – a list of things you want to do before you kick the bucket. Yes, before you die. You can read all about this move that received mixed reviews. But, I don’t think there is any question the message the movie communicates is a powerful one – life is short. There is no mixed review about that! Attending the DNC, in a public relations capacity, has been on my list since I moved to Washington DC in 2004. It hasn’t been easy. I have worked extremely hard to almost be able to check this one off the list. Some of the other items on my list include:

* Start a life for myself in the Washington DC metro area - DONE
* Spend time in Africa vacationing and volunteering
* Draft a bill and watch it pass
* Hike the rain forests of Costa Rica
* Reconnect with my father
* Make my way to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
* Leave my handprint on the world
* Have a family
* Own a puppy
* Tap dance again
* Play my violin
* Road trip through New England in the fall
* Have the ability to take care of my mom and brother financially

I encourage each and every one of you to start your own bucket list. And, if you have one, please comment and share because your dreams might just inspire someone else. My list is in a little spiral notebook I carry around with me in my purse. It is a good daily reality check and reminds me of the wonderful adventures I have to look forward to in the many years to come.

Dreams. Do you have them?

Your 2008 convention girl, Stephanie

4 comments:

Avram Polinsky said...

What's up?

Did you hear that Tuesday is no longer Hillary day, but now Mark Warner's?

Sara Mac said...

Congrats on this amazing opportunity, Steph!! Way to make all of us BU PR folks proud!!

DSL said...

Congratulations Steph! Have fun!

I'm happy that Mark Warner will be giving the keynote. I hope this doesn't sound goofy, but I was extremely impressed by his speaking abilities. Seriously. You need to have more than just something to say, and I don't think that most politicians have that ability.

This will definitely be an interesting convention.

Unknown said...

I LOVE your bucket list. I've got a short one, but it's only in my head. I should write it down, too! I will be checking in on your blog daily! Love, love, love it, girl!